The trick to writing a successful Canadian description essay is to understand first and foremost that this style is significantly different from other essay formats. The subject of the essay is examined by the senses and described using all the power of related sensual language. Ultimately, the point is to animate the topic and really bring it to life with words alone.
Choosing Description Essay Topics
There are various types of descriptive essay, and the kind you choose will inform the approach you ought to take to achieve the best possible results. If you’re looking for a subject for your first essay description of a person could be your best bet if you know them very well. Alternatively, you might feel more at home when writing room description essay.
If you’re given a free rein when it comes to choosing a topic, select one that you know like the back of your hand. If you need a little help with your writing, object description essay example templates should be your first port of call. Objects are frequently described in great detail in all kinds of places from museum guides to classic works of literature. If you’re completing a descriptive essay as part of an English literature class, then you’ll already be familiar with the latter.
Nine Key Steps to a Great Description
When it comes to writing your essay description of a person, place or object is likely to be the objective. Whichever topic you’ve been assigned, these nine steps below are easily applicable to any subject.
- The main point to understand, whether it’s a room description essay or any other kind, is that you have to show and not tell your reader all about the subject. While a picture paints a thousand words, you’re stuck with the task of using these words to paint. Use a plethora of words related to all five senses for maximum effect.
- As with all description essay topics, ensure you begin with an introductory statement to set out what your readers can expect from your text. Start as you mean to go on and make good structure an integral part of your essay plan.
- You can summarize your entire essay using a thesis statement that employs a simile or metaphor. The task you have then set yourself is to explain exactly why the literary device used is appropriate. The challenge is to do so using only sensory information.
- A simple way to write an essay outline before you finally commit pen to paper is to follow the lead of a top-quality object description essay example and separate your ideas into five sensory sections. As you are no doubt aware, these five primary senses are sight, hearing, smell, taste and touch. Now you can fill out each section with all the feelings you’ve ever had about the topic.
- Prioritize your descriptions. Choose the strongest feelings you have from each column. They should be chosen according to how interesting they would be to the reader and how well you can share them in writing.
- Finish your essay outline by making sure that each description corresponds to each section of the main body you intend to write. Organizing your approach in advance will lead to optimal effects.
- Make your intentions clear. Each section you write should start with with a topic sentence that makes sense of the subject matter that follows. An even better addition to this approach would be to relate this topic sentence to your original literary device used in your introduction.
- Use sensory words to convey every single feeling that supports your original statement. You can combine senses in individual sentences for an even more evocative and cumulative effect.
- Use your conclusion to tie up any loose ends. Bring everything together and relate it back to your introductory statement. The effect of your conclusion should be considered an attempt to frame your descriptive picture.
What about persuasive essay writing in Canada? If you want to explore more, click here!
You can use the pointers above to gain a greater appreciation of the approach expecting when you write a Canadian description essay. Structure is the most important part of any essay writing endeavor, so make sure you give it the attention it deserves. Learn from examples from great works of literature and join the ranks of good descriptive writers. If you need some help, you always can request our essay experts services!